Caumsett State Park
In 1921, Marshall Field III purchased 1,750 acres of Lloyd Neck land to create one large estate. He named the land after its Matinecock Indian name, Caumsett, which means “place by a sharp rock.”
Mr. Field created a self-sufficient English-style estate as a combination country club, hunting preserve and home complete with its own water and electrical supply. Most of the buildings on the estate were designed by architect John Russell Pope, who had designed the Jefferson Memorial in Washington, D.C. When the estate was finished, it had facilities for most sports except golf. During its peak, more than one hundred people were employed at Caumsett, tending to the extensive gardens, polo ponies, cattle herd, and, of course, the family and their numerous guests.
Acquired by New York State in 1961, Caumsett State Historic Park’s extensive forests, meadows and waterways provide habitats for a variety of flora and fauna. The diversity of the park’s environment and its limited access to vehicles make it one of Long Island’s best places for relaxation and enjoyment of nature. Hiking, bird watching, nature photography, nature study and fishing are among the many activities visitors may pursue. Guided nature tours are led throughout the park focusing on many aspects of the Caumsett environment and Long Island in general.
Troop 71 last hiked at Caumsett on March 16, 2014.