Schiff Scout Reservation
Schiff Scout Reservation is a 400-acre camp located in the Long Island Pine Barrens at Wading River.
In the summer the Deep Pond's pure sand bottom provides a great swimming waterfront. The property was called Camp Wauwepex until it was renamed for John M. Schiff. John M. Schiff's father, Mortimer L. Schiff was a member of the Council Executive Board and involved in the purchase of the camp property.
He then later served as President of the Boy Scouts of America. The original Schiff Scout Reservation in Mendham N.J. was named in Mortimer L. Schiff's honor and served as the National Training Center of the Boy Scouts of America until the National Council moved to Texas. Our "Schiff" recently adopted the original Schiff Scout Reservation Logo for its patch, mug and hat pin design. The camp surrounds the 30-acre "Deep Pond", which is a kettle hole famous for its Yellow Perch, Chain Pickerel and stocked Trout fishery.
When: October 14, 2022 - October 16, 2022
Cost: $65 per scout and $45 per adult. Please venmo payment to @troop71plandome or bring a check to Thursday night's meeting.
1. The trip is Friday evening to Sunday morning. We won't have a scheduled departure from Manhasset but everyone should target to arrive at Schiff by no later than 7pm to set up camp before the mandatory 8:30pm safety briefing. We should be home before 12 noon on Sunday.
2. We are staying at our usual location - the Hendricksen campsite. Camp map is located here ==>https://www.trcbsa.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/Schiff-Map.pdf. Make a right turn after you enter the campground.
3. All Scouts have been registered for shooting activities based on their age and BSA policy limitations - Archery, BBs and Tomahawks for the younger scouts, Rifles, Shotgun and Cowboy Shooting for the older scouts.
4. This is a regular camping trip and the evenings will be chilly so please pack accordingly. The cars will be close by so a duffel bag instead of a backpack and extra blankets might make sense.
5. All adults must have valid YPT. If you haven't sent it to me, please take the course at https://www.scouting.org/training/youth-protection/ and send me a copy of your completion certificate.
6. All Scouts and adults must provide a permission/waiver form. One prefilled with your name can be found on the calendar invite, or a blank one can be found here ==> https://filestore.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/19-673.pdf
7. Tenting pairs and carpool arrangements (if necessary) can be made at Thursday night's meeting.
What to Bring:
Treat this as a regular camping trip, but cars will be close by. (We will monitor the weather up to our departure for last minute updates.) Bathroom facilities are readily available.
Frame pack (Troop has several to loan)
Floored tent with rain fly (Scouts can sleep in their own tent or make tenting arrangements with another Scout; the Troop has tents to loan. LIMIT TWO TO A TENT)
Sleeping pad/sleeping bag/camp pillow
Water bottle with carabiner
Bug repellent (eg, Deep Woods Off)
Mess kit w/ utensils
Flashlight/headlamp w/ fresh batteries
personal toiletries (including 1/2 roll toilet paper)
Hiking boots/hiking socks
Scout pants/shorts/Class B shirt
Change of clothes & extra socks
Warm clothes to sleep in
Adults: bring metal or plastic mug for coffee
OPTIONS: camping chair (recommended), frisbee/football/playing cards
Long Island Expressway (I-495) eastbound to Exit 69
At the end of the exit ramp, turn left (north) onto Wading River – Manor Road and go 5 miles
Cross NY 25 and continue North
Camp entrance is on the right (just past a trailer park on the right and about 1/8 of a mile past a large white church on the left)