OUR NEXT OUTINGS
We will be camping just south of Silver Mine Lake in the northern part of Harriman State Park. This backpacking trip is generally appropriate for all Scouts, BUT note there is about a 1 mile hike along rocky terrain to the campsite, we carry in all the water and supplies we will use and there are no bathrooms. No cost. Permission Slip due by 4/17. We will also need BSA Medical Forms (Parts A & B) for any new Scouts and parents of new Scouts who did not attend Alpine, as well as any other Scouts or parents whose forms may have expired.
Clothing: Weather can vary this time of year, so proper clothing (layers of synthetic) is a must.
- hiking/work boots
- 1-2 pairs of socks
- long pants
- long sleeve shirts
- fleece top
- jacket (windproof & water resistant)
- full change of clothes & extra socks
- rain gear
- For sleeping: sweat suit or long underwear; wool or fleece cap
- frame pack (w/ padded straps and hip belt)
- small day pack (optional)
- two-person floored tent w/ fly and ground cover
- warm sleeping bag; bed roll; camping pillow
- mess kit w/ utensils
- two bottles of water (liter or quart size)
- flashlight/headlamp w/ fresh batteries
- personal toiletries (including 1/2 roll toilet paper) and first-aid kit
- lighter/kitchen matches w/ striker (in ziplock bag)
- large black trash bag
- pocket knife; compass; work gloves
NOTE: ALL GEAR MUST FIT IN/ON YOUR FRAME PACK
Meals: Bring a bag lunch (for before hike), "foil broil" meal to warm up over fire for dinner and simple (cold) breakfast. NO COOKING GEAR WILL BE AVAILABLE. So, cook something at home for dinner, freeze it in heavy foil and a ziplock bag and put frozen in your pack before leaving home. Then it will slowly thaw and can be warmed in the foil for dinner.
We leave at 10:30 a.m. from LIRR parking lot across from Plandome Country Club and should be back in Manhasset midday Sunday.
- Cross Island Parkway to Throgs Neck Bridge N
- Cross Bronx Exp (I295) to I95 towards George Washington Bridge, UPPER LEVEL
- Take first exit onto Palisades Parkway to LEFT EXIT 18
- Follow to circle/roundabout
- Take Seven Lakes Drive 1/2 mile to parking lot for Silver Mine Lake (left side)
- We will follow yellow trail to camp
Tom Wiebe - (516) 578-4866
Raul Rodriguez - (516) 319-5690
NEWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS
- "Bully" to Brendan Watson on being selected by Manhasset Post 304 to attend Boys State 2014. Participants will actively engage in this one-week program that provides a hands-on experience of our governmental process and Constitution. The Boys State citizens will build a mythical 51st State and participate in campaigns, rallies, speeches, platform committees and elections.
- "Bully" to James Otruba for earning Eagle Rank on March 8th!
- Bully! to Troop 71 for donating 150 lbs to Scouting for Food! See the Scoutmaster for your 2014 patch.
- Join the Scoutmaster's E-Mail Directory! Scouts and parents are encouraged to provide the Scoutmaster with their email address to receive messages directly. To be added, simply email the Scoutmaster with your name in the subject line.
- Troop 71 is on FACEBOOK! Be sure to "Like" us and check out the thousands of photos from our many camping trips, special events and other activities.